Saturday, March 10, 2012

moderately eventful

Last week I was off to sunny Penticton (which it was, yes) for the Kingdom Arts & Sciences (& Bardic) Championships. A pleasant ride on the ferry, where I ensconced  myself in the buffet and nibbled my way across. Picked up by Stephen, Judy, Connie and Stewart, to drive for 4 hrs or so through ...
snow,
 no snow,
 snow,
 no snow,
to sunny Penticton.

Where I helped with judging cheese made in a gourd after a Middle Eastern recipe,
 a 14th century Egyptian shadow puppet play (yes, I have video, but who knows if it will post?)
 and sat in on the judging of an Elizabethan portrait miniature. (which reminds me, I need to send some parchment scraps to the painter, so she can try them out.)

More text later!

2 comments:

Terri-Lynne said...

Cool! What fun! Was the cheese any good??

batgirl said...

It was quite strong, even the still-soft-and-spreadable batch, and salty. Not something one would eat lots of, but good. One of the other judges pointed out that the gourd had salt crystals on the inside, so it might extract more salt and produce a less salty cheese.
A very interesting project.