Wednesday, May 9, 2012

missing the moon


Last weekend, you probably know, was supposed to be a spectacular moonrise, a supermoon. But it was cloudy or something, because when I went outside at nightfall, I could not find the moon. It's usually somewhere in front of the house, behind the city trees. But no.
Mark looked for it with the help of his cool IPad planetarium viewer, but it wasn't there either. Perhaps it was just too low in the sky when we looked.
Then I fell asleep. (I vaguely recall a time when I could stay awake all night. That time is not now.)
However, I rise early, and here is what remained of the moon about 5 in the morning.


 Still fairly striking. I climbed up the small stepladder and took this photo through the branches of the Spartan apple tree.

 And because I liked the cheerful colour of it, here's the first fresh pie of the season, a strawberry-rhubarb that's in the oven now (with top crust added)

Rhubarb is ours, strawberries are from BC but boughten, all shaken up with flour and sugar. I hope it tastes okay, as I can never convince myself to put in as much sugar as the recipes call for.

In other news, I have recently done 3 sets of 25 crunches, at the end of my weights circuits (free and machine). The total leaves me somewhere between astounded and appalled.
Yesterday I didn't exercise, which gave me another hour-and-half to write with, and to have a second cup of tea in the morning. Then I spent a good part of the day wondering if I could fit in a make-up session at lunch or the end of the day (answers: a)no, you have a meeting, b)no, you have to go home for dinner).
This is a worrying development, to find myself seeking out exercise and regretting missing out on it. Next thing you know, I will start believing that there is such a thing as a runner's high.

2 comments:

Terri-Lynne said...

Ah! I was in Virginia Beach for the BIG moon. It was glorious to see hovering over the ocean as it was.

batgirl said...

Oh lovely! Did you all go out and look at it?