Monday, June 4, 2007

memes across the borders

Well, the borders between LJ and Blogger, anyways. Bogwitch64 tagged me with the following:
The Rules:
Here are the rules: Each person tagged blogs 7 random facts about themselves, as well as the rules of the game. You need to tag seven others and list their names on your blog. You have to leave those you plan on tagging a note in their comments so they know that they have been tagged and to read your blog.

I doubt I can tag the next seven people, because my LJ/blog acquaintances have been pretty much laid waste to already. But I can do the random facts, probably. My impression is that they should be unsuspected or surprising facts, which raises the bar somewhat.

1. I never attended kindergarten or preschool. We went to the Yukon instead.
2. By the time I was 12, I'd lived in 12 different places, and crossed Canada 3 times.
3. I lived 4 years without electricity or running water, 5 miles up a dirt road on a mountainside.
4. Since my mother died, no one has cut my hair. Before that it was cut short every summer.
5. A rancher in Colorado promised me a steak dinner from his own steers because I identified the author and title of his long-lost favourite childhood book.
6. I've studied judo, SCA heavy combat, wing chun and escrima, but my best bet is to run away.
7. I arrive early for anything that will leave without me, and am horribly unpunctual for any personal appointment.

Anyone who hasn't been tagged and would care to engage in this, consider yourself tagged now.

2 comments:

avo said...

#4 would be a good opening line for a story.

I've heard you mention #3 before, and I've never been brave enough to ask about it. Maybe some time you could write a blog post about how you made the choice to do that. I'd love to hear about it.

batgirl said...

You're quite right about #4, but I'm afraid it would be litfic.
#3 - well, it might make a blog post, at that.
It wasn't terribly renunciatory, there being no internet at the time. British Columbia, too, is thick with old hippies and others yearning for a simpler life (for certain values of simpler). I have friends who've lived in tipis or treehouses or on boats. It's almost expected.
Hm. That could tie in with a semi-rant I've been pondering about 'magic as a lazy replacement for technology, to avoid thinking about the realities of a pre-industrial culture'. Hm.